Saturday, June 9, 2007

THE IMPACT OF KIND WORDS

A few days ago I was talking to someone on the phone, who I don't talk to on a regular basis, maybe every three or four months, and in our conversation she just casually mentioned that she prays for me and asked if there is something specific I'd like her to pray about for me. It just caught me off-guard. I don't know why but I was so touched that she said that. Nobody ever asks that. I pray for people too but I never actually ask if they have anything in particular they'd like me to pray for on an everyday basis, unless it's an obvious thing they are going through and asking for prayer. Some people don't even know I pray for them.

I get caught up in my world and I'm really good at focusing on other people and doing things for them and helping others but I'm horrible at asking for help when I really need something, I don't want to put anyone out. I see a lot of my Mom in me in this department so much. She didn't like a lot of attention put on her. I always say if I ever needed an ambulance I'd try and drive myself there first because I wouldn't want them to have to come. I don't often ask anyone to pray for me. She had no idea how much it meant to me. I guess just coming from someone I don't get to talk to enough it was touching that she would even think of me in between phone calls.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it reminded me that we never know what kind of day someone is having or what they might be going through and how something we say could have an impact on them without even meaning to, even just something little. I'm sure she had no idea it affected me.

No comments: